Software Engineer Intern, Ultrahaptics
Built an acoustics simulation tool. Produced visualisations and other analyses for internal and customer use.
Vice-President, Computer Science Society
Organise and run events for Computer Science students. Liaise with department to represent students. Raised £6000+ sponsorship and handle industrial relationships.
Performance Analysis Engineering Intern, Arm
Added ARM support to an open-source static analysis framework.
Runner up in the ARM Global Intern Innovation Challenge with an activity for the micro:bit.
Webmaster, Computer Science Society, University of Bristol
Re-architected the existing website to use Jekyll and GitHub Pages. Refreshed society brand identity. Designed posters, email marketing and merchandise. Ran events (talks, hackathons, socials) attracting over 900 attendees throughout the year.
Technician, Student Laptop and Mobile Clinic, University of Bristol
Part-time. I fix a wide range of problems for undergraduate and postgraduate students, who use all sorts of devices and software stacks.
Intern Developer, Just Eat
I worked as a C#/.NET developer for International Engineering. I spent a few weeks researching possible integration of Amazon Machine Learning into the JUST EAT platform, after which I joined in with day-to-day sprint work. My colleague and I won one category of the JUST EAT Hackathon after writing a new API endpoint and building a Pebble app (using PebbleJS) to display stats from it.
Computer Science MEng, University of Bristol
First Class, 76%
Awarded 2018 Wertheimer Memorial Prize for contribution to the Department of Computer Science.
- Theory of Computation (automata, grammars)
- Introduction to Computer Architecture (digital electronics, ISAs/CPU design, compilers)
- Mathematical Methods for Computer Scientists (logic, modular arithmetic, probability, calculus)
- Origins of Computer Science
Presented a vision for bitcoin-mining funded websites as part of the Origins of Computer Science unit and built a small prototype. It kinda came true!
Built an antweight robot for the first Bristol University Robot Wars.
Entered Nicolas Cagefighter into the second BEEES Robot Wars competition. Reserving the name Theresa Mayhem for next time.
Built a responsive webapp using Google App Engine for the 2015 Mubaloo appathon.
- Concurrent Computing (CSP, XC, operating systems, networking)
- Software Product Engineering (built a compiler for the occam language and Transputer)
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Symbols, Patterns and Signals (statistics, machine learning)
- Language Engineering (compilers, axiomatic/denotational/operational semantics)
- French (written project comparing OCaml and Eiffel)
Attempted to build a pinball table for the BEEES ARM Hackathon. I wrote most of the embedded software (Python on RPi, C++ on mbed).
- High Performance Computing (OpenMP, MPI, OpenCL)
- Artificial Intelligence with Logic Programming (Prolog)
- Computer Graphics (raytracer, rasteriser)
- Image Processing and Computer Vision
- Computational Neuroscience
- Introduction to Machine Learning
- Design Verification (SystemVerilog, e)
- Games Project (our game: Loan Shark)
Organised Boeing-sponsored hackathon (and built a 3D visualisation tool for monitoring device temps).
- Interactive Devices (project published at CHI 2018)
- Cloud Computing
- Applied Deep Learning
- Internet Economics and Financial Technology
- Advanced Computer Architecture (my Haskell simulator for a superscalar pipelined CPU)
- Systems Security
- Masters Thesis Free Trade: Composable Smart Contracts
- Research Proposal
Organised second Boeing-sponsored hackathon (and built AR Mars robot simulator with Iridium sat comms).
MI Analyst, Lloyds Banking Group
Built and improved systems for MI storage and reporting. Designed several Microsoft Access databases, used by over a hundred people. Created InfoPath forms to collect data. Built reporting tools using (T-)SQL/ODBC/SQL Server/Access/Excel/VBA. Wrote software to quickly analyse thousands of files and folders on network shares. Ran a physical library hosting over a thousand files. Implemented an ETL pipeline as part of an effort to improve regulatory reporting.
Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge
Student, Bishop's Stortford College
- 3 A* (Maths, Further Maths, Physics)
- 1 A (Chemistry)
- 5 A (Chemistry, History, Maths, Further Maths, Physics)
- 11 A*